
The island of Yumeshima, where Osaka Prefecture and the city of Osaka seek to host an integrated resort, is seen.
17:52 JST, September 6, 2023
OSAKA (Jiji Press) — The Osaka prefectural and municipal governments said Tuesday that they will delay the opening of a planned casino resort to around autumn 2030.
When the local governments submitted their development plan to the central government in April 2022, the resort was scheduled to open around autumn and winter 2029. The delay is because the plan did not win central government approval until April this year.
The Osaka governments also said that the amount of initial investment will increase to ¥1.27 trillion from the previously planned ¥1.08 trillion due to soaring construction material prices.
Once the revised plan receives central government approval, the Osaka governments aim to sign a contract with the operator of the casino resort as early as this month.
A company led by U.S. casino giant MGM Resorts International and Orix Corp. will construct and operate the resort to be built on the Yumeshima artificial island in Osaka Bay.
The opening of the casino resort “will be postponed for a year due to various procedures. This is an appropriate timing,” Osaka Gov. Hirofumi Yoshimura told reporters.
Top Articles in Politics
-
Japan PM Takaichi’s Cabinet Resigns en Masse
-
Sanae Takaichi Elected Prime Minister of Japan; Keeps All Cabinet Appointees from Previous Term
-
Japan’s Govt to Submit Road Map for Growth Strategy in March, PM Takaichi to Announce in Upcoming Policy Speech
-
LDP Wins Historic Landslide Victory
-
LDP Wins Landslide Victory, Secures Single-party Majority; Ruling Coalition with JIP Poised to Secure Over 300 seats (UPDATE 1)
JN ACCESS RANKING
-
Japan PM Takaichi’s Cabinet Resigns en Masse
-
Japan Institute to Use Domestic Commercial Optical Lattice Clock to Set Japan Standard Time
-
Israeli Ambassador to Japan Speaks about Japan’s Role in the Reconstruction of Gaza
-
Man Infected with Measles Reportedly Dined at Restaurant in Tokyo Station
-
Videos Plagiarized, Reposted with False Subtitles Claiming ‘Ryukyu Belongs to China’; Anti-China False Information Also Posted in Japan

