Thoughts on Rei Kawakubo Becoming a Person of Cultural Merit
The government has designated fashion design icon Rei Kawakubo a Person of Cultural Merit. Followi...
December 2, 2023
Tokyo’s Shinjuku District Home to Traditional Kimono-Dyeing Technique
Tokyo’s Shinjuku Ward, famous for its soaring skyscrapers and neon lights that adorn the Kabukicho d...
November 19, 2023
Major Fashion Brands Taking Notice of Opposition to Exotic Leathers
At the latest Paris Fashion Week that ended in October, a woman caused a scene by crashing the show ...
November 19, 2023
Make Your Custom Lipstick Shade at a Specialty Shop in Shibuya
All 50 vials of various pigments were placed on a table. As a small amount of blue pigment was added...
November 10, 2023
Takayuki Kijima Vows to Make Hats Loved around the World
Kijima Takayuki, a hat brand created by the designer of the same name, is popular for its practical ...
November 5, 2023
LVMH’s Top Jewelry Brands Occupy Entrance to Tokyo’s Omotesando
When the government reclassified COVID-19 on May 8 to a Category V infectious disease, the same cate...
November 4, 2023
Iconic Japan Streetwear Brand A Bathing Ape Celebrates its 30th Anniversary at Tokyo Fashion Show
Streetwear brand A Bathing Ape presented its collection for the first time at the 2024 Spring/Summer...
October 20, 2023
British Kimono Buff Tailors the Robe to Modern Life
Sheila Cliffe moved from Britain to Japan 38 years ago after falling in love with kimono. Today, she...
October 15, 2023
How Will New President, New Designer Impact Uniqlo’s Future?
Fast Retailing Co., which enjoys global fame thanks to its Uniqlo and GU brands, made two major anno...
October 7, 2023
New Onitsuka Tiger Store Epitomizes Asics’ Fashion Strategy
Photo by Akira MiuraThe new Onitsuka Tiger building, center, which opened on Aug. 4, is seen between...
September 3, 2023
K-Pop Stars Venturing into World of Fashion as Brand Ambassadors
This year has seen a number of K-pop stars making their way into the world of fashion as internation...
August 5, 2023
Traditional Japanese Fabric Gives Flair to Western Clothes
A project to create modern clothing using traditional Japanese textiles is making a splash. The proj...
July 30, 2023
Secondhand Kimono Recycled into New Clothing
KITAKYUSHU — Old kimono with vivid colors and various designs are getting a second life by being cra...
July 23, 2023
Magazines Out, Fashion in at Convenience Stores in Japan
Japan’s first convenience store is thought to have opened in Toyonaka, Osaka Prefecture, in 1969, as...
July 7, 2023
Third Time’s the Charm: Can H&M Strike It Lucky in Ginza?
The Swedish fast fashion brand H&M first hit Japan on Saturday, Sept. 13, 2008, or around 15 years a...
June 2, 2023
"CULTURE" POPULAR ARTICLE
- Colorful, Intricate Handmade Kaga Thimbles Make Comeback with Modern Motifs
- Hatsune Miku Turns 16; Vocaloid Software Same Age as Fictional Background
- Refugee Film Festival Starts in Tokyo with Documentaries from Afghanistan, South Sudan, Venezuela, Others
- AI Helps Create New ‘Black Jack’ Manga Episode for Osamu Tezuka’s Iconic Maverick Doctor
- 75th Annual Exhibition of Shoso-in Treasures Ends in Nara; Over 115,000 Visitors Flock to Nara National Museum
JN TOP STORIES
- New Tour in Japan Featuring Kumano Kodo, Hot Springs Targets Foreign Tourists
- Resumption of Gaza Fighting Blurs Kishida’s Visit to Middle East
- Japan’s ‘Genius’ Shinji Ono Calls It Quits at 44
- A Suspected Bomb Blast Kills at Least 4 Christian Worshippers During Mass in Southern Philippines
- Kickbacks Allegedly Kept Off-the-Books by More than 10 Members of Late Prime Minister Shinzo Abe’s Political Faction
- Kishida Intends To Address Alleged Off-the-books Funds Within Liberal Democratic Party
- Japan May Provide Up to 230 M. Dollars in Aid to Egypt
- Japan, Germany Effectively Agree to Execute Defense Logistics Pact