17:56 JST, November 6, 2024
PARIS (AFP-Jiji) — Banning the sale of tobacco to people born between 2006 and 2010 could prevent around 1.2 million deaths from lung cancer by the end of the century, said a modeling study released last month.
Smoking is responsible for roughly 85% of all cases of lung cancer, the deadliest cancer worldwide, according to the World Health Organization.
If current trends continue, there will be nearly three million lung cancer deaths among people born from 2006 to 2010, said the new study from the WHO’s International Agency for Research on Cancer (IARC).
But if tobacco sales were banned for these 650 million people, around 1.2 million deaths could be prevented by 2095, estimated the modeling research published in The Lancet Public Health journal.
The study, one of the first studies aiming to assess the impact of a tobacco-free generation, drew on data about cancer cases and deaths from 185 countries.
More than 45% of lung cancer deaths among men around the world could be prevented, and nearly 31% among women, the research found.
“This difference is linked to the tobacco industry’s gender-targeted marketing over the past few decades,” IARC researcher and study coauthor Isabelle Soerjomataram said in a statement.
Top Articles in Science & Nature
-
Japan Institute to Use Domestic Commercial Optical Lattice Clock to Set Japan Standard Time
-
Japan to Face Shortfall of 3.39 Million Workers in AI, Robotics in 2040; Clerical Workers Seen to Be in Surplus
-
Record 700 Startups to Gather at SusHi Tech Tokyo in April; Event Will Center on Themes Like Artificial Intelligence and Robotics
-
iPS Treatments Pass Key Milestone, but Broader Applications Far from Guaranteed
-
iPS Cell Products for Parkinson’s, Heart Disease OK’d for Commercialization by Japan Health Ministry Panel
JN ACCESS RANKING
-
Japan PM Takaichi’s Cabinet Resigns en Masse
-
Japan Institute to Use Domestic Commercial Optical Lattice Clock to Set Japan Standard Time
-
Israeli Ambassador to Japan Speaks about Japan’s Role in the Reconstruction of Gaza
-
Man Infected with Measles Reportedly Dined at Restaurant in Tokyo Station
-
Videos Plagiarized, Reposted with False Subtitles Claiming ‘Ryukyu Belongs to China’; Anti-China False Information Also Posted in Japan

