- OLYMPICS & PARALYMPICS
Tokyo Games committee welcomes Bach at State Guest House
13:28 JST, July 19, 2021
A welcome ceremony for senior officials of the International Olympic Committee was held Sunday at the State Guest House in Tokyo by the Tokyo Organizing Committee of the Olympic and Paralympic Games.
About 40 people attended the ceremony. Attendees included IOC President Thomas Bach; John Coates, chairman of the IOC Coordination Commission for the Tokyo Games; Prime Minister Yoshihide Suga; Tamayo Marukawa, minister for the Tokyo Olympic and Paralympic Games; Tokyo Gov. Yuriko Koike; and Japanese Olympic Committee President Yasuhiro Yamashita.
Yoshiro Mori, former president of the organizing committee, is also said to have been in attendance.
Pianist Nobuyuki Tsujii performed at the ceremony, which was conducted without meals or alcoholic beverage service.
During the event, protestors rallied outside the guest house gates, calling for cancellation of the Games.
"SPORTS" POPULAR ARTICLE
Hanshin Tigers Win Japan Series for First Time in 38 Years, Beating Orix Buffaloes in Game 7
Japanese Skater Yuzuru Hanyu Announces Divorce
Shohei Ohtani to Donate Gloves to 20,000 Elementary Schools
Sumo in Crisis as Dwindling Number of Wrestlers Forces Body to Knock Over Tradition
Shohei Ohtani, Baseball’s 2-Way Star, Becomes First 2-Time Unanimous MVP (UPDATE 1)
JN ACCESS RANKING
- BOJ Ueda: Japan Increasingly Likely to Hit Inflation Target
- Japan April-Sept. Current Account Surplus Hits Record High
- Food, Beverage Price Hikes Show Signs of Easing; Fuel Prices, Consumer Frugality Slowing Down Price Rises
- Japan 2023 Food Exports Reach 1 Tril. Yen at Record Pace
- Exports of Nishikigoi Carp to China Halted; Permits for Japanese Aquaculture Facilities By China Have Expired