Grand Lisboa, center, is closed in Macao, on Monday.
The Associated Press
13:33 JST, July 17, 2022
HONG KONG (AP) — The Chinese gambling enclave of Macao on Saturday extended its lockdown by five days as it grapples with the biggest outbreak of the coronavirus in over two years.
Authorities said that industries and commercial companies will remain closed until July 23. The lockdown, which began July 11, had initially been set to expire Sunday.
As part of the lockdown, authorities have suspended dine-in services and ordered all residents to avoid leaving their homes unless absolutely necessary. Those who need to go out must wear KN95 masks or similar.
The city, which has a population of 680,000, recorded 31 infections on Friday. Since its latest outbreak that began June 18, the city has reported some 1,700 infections.
The government also said in a separate statement that it would allocate 10 billion patacas ($1.24 billion) as handouts for businesses affected by the outbreak.
Casinos, which are the city’s largest employers and the main income generator for the government, were initially allowed to operate in spite of the flare in cases in June but have since been ordered to close as part of the lockdown last week.
Most Read
Popular articles in the past 24 hours
-
Director Naomi Kawase's New Film Explores Heart Transplants in Ja...
-
Japan’s Nikkei Stock Average Rises on Tech Rally and Takaichi's S...
-
Takaichi Expected to Express Desire for Constitutional Revision P...
-
Japanese Man Living in Iraq Suspected of Illegally Entering U.S. ...
-
Security Services Law Unconstitutional: Do Not Restrict Career Ch...
-
New Leader of Japan's CRA Opposition Party Faces Challenge of For...
-
Milano Cortina 2026: Snowboarding Star Fukada Wins Gold in Hard-F...
-
Tokyo Exhibition Featuring VR Walk Through 2025 Osaka-Kansai Expo...
Popular articles in the past week
-
Japan PM Takaichi’s Cabinet Resigns en Masse
-
Man Infected with Measles Reportedly Dined at Restaurant in Tokyo...
-
Videos Plagiarized, Reposted with False Subtitles Claiming ‘Ryuky...
-
Sanae Takaichi Elected 105th Prime Minister of Japan; Keeps All C...
-
Japan's Govt to Submit Road Map for Growth Strategy in March, PM ...
-
Milano Cortina 2026: Figure Skaters Riku Miura, Ryuichi Kihara Pa...
-
Tokyo’s New Record-Breaking Fountain Named ‘Tokyo Aqua Symphony’
-
Bus Carrying 40 Passengers Catches Fire on Chuo Expressway; All E...
Popular articles in the past month
-
Japan PM Takaichi’s Cabinet Resigns en Masse
-
Japan Institute to Use Domestic Commercial Optical Lattice Clock ...
-
Israeli Ambassador to Japan Speaks about Japan’s Role in the Reco...
-
Man Infected with Measles Reportedly Dined at Restaurant in Tokyo...
-
Man Infected with Measles May Have Come in Contact with Many Peop...
-
Prudential Life Insurance Plans to Fully Compensate for Damages C...
-
Videos Plagiarized, Reposted with False Subtitles Claiming ‘Ryuky...
-
Woman with Measles Visited Hospital in Tokyo Multiple Times Befor...
Top Articles in News Services
-
Survey Shows False Election Info Perceived as True
-
Prudential Life Expected to Face Inspection over Fraud
-
Hong Kong Ex-Publisher Jimmy Lai’s Sentence Raises International Outcry as China Defends It
-
Japan’s Nikkei Stock Average Touches 58,000 as Yen, Jgbs Rally on Election Fallout (UPDATE 1)
-
Trump Names Former Federal Reserve Governor Warsh as the Next Fed Chair, Replacing Powell
JN ACCESS RANKING
-
Japan PM Takaichi’s Cabinet Resigns en Masse
-
Japan Institute to Use Domestic Commercial Optical Lattice Clock to Set Japan Standard Time
-
Israeli Ambassador to Japan Speaks about Japan’s Role in the Reconstruction of Gaza
-
Man Infected with Measles Reportedly Dined at Restaurant in Tokyo Station
-
Man Infected with Measles May Have Come in Contact with Many People in Tokyo, Went to Store, Restaurant Around When Symptoms Emerged

