- OLYMPICS & PARALYMPICS
Sapporo Drops 2030 Winter Olympic Bid, Aiming for 2034 or Later
17:37 JST, October 11, 2023
TOKYO (Jiji Press) — Sapporo has given up its bid to host the 2030 Winter Olympics and Paralympics, switching its target to 2034 or later, officials said Wednesday.
Sapporo Mayor Katsuhiro Akimoto and Japanese Olympic Committee President Yasuhiro Yamashita unveiled the decision at a press conference after their talks in Tokyo.
The Sapporo city government had been working to host the 2030 Games, but it concluded that it would be unable to gain support from its residents due to public distrust stemming from corruption and bid-rigging scandals related to the Tokyo Olympics and Paralympics held in 2021. The JOC has decided to support Sapporo if the city switches its bid to the 2034 Games or later.
"SPORTS" POPULAR ARTICLE
Hanshin Tigers Win Japan Series for First Time in 38 Years, Beating Orix Buffaloes in Game 7
Japanese Skater Yuzuru Hanyu Announces Divorce
Shohei Ohtani to Donate Gloves to 20,000 Elementary Schools
Sumo in Crisis as Dwindling Number of Wrestlers Forces Body to Knock Over Tradition
Shohei Ohtani, Baseball’s 2-Way Star, Becomes First 2-Time Unanimous MVP (UPDATE 1)
JN ACCESS RANKING
- Japan, Vietnam Trade Ministers Discuss Supply Chains, IPEF
- BOJ Ueda: Japan Increasingly Likely to Hit Inflation Target
- Stimulus Package Set to Drive Greater Govt Borrowing; Likely Effectiveness Called into Question
- Food, Beverage Price Hikes Show Signs of Easing; Fuel Prices, Consumer Frugality Slowing Down Price Rises
- AI-generated Child Porn Floods Japan-based Website (Update 1)