- OLYMPICS & PARALYMPICS
Japan sets an Olympic record in the women’s speed skating team pursuit
19:33 JST, February 12, 2022
BEIJING (AP) — Japan has set an Olympic record in the quarterfinals of the women’s speed skating team pursuit at the Beijing Olympics.
Japan broke its own Olympic mark Saturday with a time of 2 minutes, 53.61 seconds, advancing to the semifinals as the top qualifier.
The Japanese will face the fourth-fastest qualifier, the Russian Olympic Committee (2:57.66). Canada (2:53.97) and the Netherlands (2:57.26) also advanced and will meet in the other semifinal.
China and Norway were relegated to the C final. Belarus and Poland will meet in the D final.
"SPORTS" POPULAR ARTICLE
Japanese Skater Yuzuru Hanyu Announces Divorce
Sumo in Crisis as Dwindling Number of Wrestlers Forces Body to Knock Over Tradition
Shohei Ohtani, Baseball’s 2-Way Star, Becomes First 2-Time Unanimous MVP (UPDATE 1)
The Sumo Scene / Top-ranked Referee Shikimori Inosuke Also Earns Elite Status in Name
The Sumo Scene / Grand Sumo Tournament Wrestlers Find Power in Local Food; Powerful Wrestler Chiyonofuji Remembered
JN ACCESS RANKING
- Japan’s Economy Contracts as Demand Wanes
- AI-generated Child Porn Floods Japan-based Website (Update 1)
- Bears Sighted in Tokyo Suburbs, Including near Mt. Takao (Update 1)
- Tokyo Dips below 10 C; Temperatures Fall in Japan
- Tsunami observed in Japanese coast after the earthquake near Philippines (UPDATE2)