Winter Games mascot posters to help lift spirits in Beijing
15:37 JST, January 11, 2022
BEIJING — Posters featuring the mascots for the Beijing Winter Olympics and Paralympics started being put up around central Beijing on Monday.
Images of the mascots — the Olympic panda Bing Dwen Dwen and the Paralympic red lantern Shuey Rhon Rhon — were to cover all the planters along the about 900-meter street in the busy downtown area of Wangfujing.
The coronavirus pandemic has affected preparations for the Winter Games set to start on Feb. 4. As part of infection prevention measures, the Olympic torch relay was shortened to three days leading up to the opening ceremony. It also remains uncertain whether large-scale public events will still be held.
“I hope [the posters] will help lift spirits ahead of the start [of the Games], even by a little,” said a man putting up posters.
"SPORTS" POPULAR ARTICLE
JN ACCESS RANKING
- Fukushima lab releases images of ‘highly likely’ UFOs
- Ajiichi Hojo / Modern flavors in a history-steeped building
- Japan-sponsored bridge opens in South Sudan, raising hopes for peace and development
- Defense minister to China: Concerns exist between Japan and China
- Japan scrambled aircraft 4.5 times more this May than last