- Imperial Family
Emperor, Empress Met with Foreign Dignitaries; 1st Tea Reception in over 4 Years
13:39 JST, December 19, 2023
The Emperor and Empress met with foreign dignitaries at a tea reception at the Imperial Palace in Chiyoda Ward, Tokyo, on Monday. Invitees included the heads of state and others who participated in the special summit of Japan and the Association of South-East Asian Nations member countries.
It was the first time in four years and four months that the Imperial couple welcomed foreign dignitaries as guests to a tea reception. The last such reception was held during the Tokyo International Conference on African Development before the COVID-19 pandemic in August 2019.
The Emperor gave an address in English, saying he has high expectations that their friendship, goodwill and cooperative relationships will develop further.
"Society" POPULAR ARTICLE
JCG Captain Mistook ‘No. 1’ Position for Permission to Take off Prior to Haneda Accident; Voice Recorders Being Analyzed
Possibility of Warning-Level Snowfall in Tokyo’s 23 Wards; Heavy Snow Expected in Japan’s Kanto-Koshin Region (UPDATE 5)
Over 10 Killer Whales Trapped Amid Drift Ice Off Coast of Hokkaido’s Shiretoko Peninsula
Earthquake Measuring Magnitude 4.3 Hits Kyoto Prefecture; No Tsunami Expected (Update 1)
One Month to go Until the Hokuriku Shinkansen Extension; the “First Train” Sells Out in 1 Minute
JN ACCESS RANKING
- Current Account Surplus Doubles in ’23
- Business, Labor Leaders Reaffirm Vow to Raise Wages in Shunto Talks
- Japan Real Wages Fall at Steepest Pace in 9 Years in 2023
- Pressure Mounting for Wage Increases in Shunto Negotiations; Fears about the Response of Struggling SMEs
- North Korean Workers in China Riot over Unpaid Wages; 2,000 Occupy Factory, Kill Plant Manager