- IMPERIAL FAMILY
Japan Emperor Delivers Speech at U.N. Water, Disaster Event
17:40 JST, March 23, 2023
TOKYO (Jiji Press) — The Emperor delivered a video speech on water cycle at the Sixth U.N. Special Thematic Session on Water and Disasters held at the U.N. headquarters in New York on Tuesday.
In the 20-minute keynote speech, the Emperor explained in English how water was related to the development of Edo, the old name for Tokyo, during the country’s Edo period (1603-1868), using ukiyo-e paintings and charts. Ships were used for disaster relief at the time, and they are now drawing attention once again, the Emperor said.
The U.N. conference has been held once every two years since 2013. The Emperor, who has been studying water issues as his lifework, made speeches in person or virtually in the past sessions.
"SOCIETY" POPULAR ARTICLE
AI-generated Child Porn Floods Japan-based Website (Update 1)
Bears Sighted in Tokyo Suburbs, Including near Mt. Takao (Update 1)
Tokyo Dips below 10 C; Temperatures Fall in Japan
Junko Ohashi, singer of ‘Silhouette Romance,’ dies at 73
X Japan Bassist Heath Dies at 55; Yoshiki Thought to Have Returned to Japan for Him
JN ACCESS RANKING
- Japan, Vietnam Trade Ministers Discuss Supply Chains, IPEF
- BOJ Ueda: Japan Increasingly Likely to Hit Inflation Target
- Stimulus Package Set to Drive Greater Govt Borrowing; Likely Effectiveness Called into Question
- Food, Beverage Price Hikes Show Signs of Easing; Fuel Prices, Consumer Frugality Slowing Down Price Rises
- Japan 2023 Food Exports Reach 1 Tril. Yen at Record Pace