Emperor plants rice at palace
17:11 JST, May 19, 2022
The Emperor conducted the annual rice planting in the rice paddies at the Imperial Palace on Wednesday.
Dressed in a light blue long-sleeved shirt and boots, he carefully planted a total of 20 seedlings of Nihon Masari uruchi rice and Mangetsu Mochi glutinous rice by hand. Reaping is scheduled for around September.
Rice cultivation at the Imperial Palace was started by Emperor Showa and has been carried on by his successors.
"SOCIETY" POPULAR ARTICLE
JN ACCESS RANKING
- Japan, Finland confirm unity in dealing with Russia
- Mangaka Fujiko Fujio A dies at 88
- China’s aircraft carrier drills near Japan aimed at around-the-clock attack capability
- As wheat prices soar, Japanese food industry pushes rice flour as alternative
- Fukushima lab releases images of ‘highly likely’ UFOs