Emperor’s birthday event at the palace to be canceled for 3rd year in a row
13:38 JST, January 21, 2022
An event to mark the Emperor’s birthday at the Imperial Palace on Feb. 23 will not be held because of the novel coronavirus pandemic, the Imperial Household Agency has announced.
It is the third consecutive year the agency has canceled the event, at which the Imperial family traditionally waves to members of the public from a balcony at the palace.
The agency also said it would not be observing the custom of putting guest books outside its building for well-wishers to write celebratory messages to the Emperor.
"SOCIETY" POPULAR ARTICLE
JN ACCESS RANKING
- Japan, Finland confirm unity in dealing with Russia
- Mangaka Fujiko Fujio A dies at 88
- China’s aircraft carrier drills near Japan aimed at around-the-clock attack capability
- As wheat prices soar, Japanese food industry pushes rice flour as alternative
- Fukushima lab releases images of ‘highly likely’ UFOs