- Politics & Government
Scandal-Tainted Lawmaker Intends to Resign If Case Over Alleged Hidden Fund Built
12:33 JST, January 17, 2024
Liberal Democratic Party House of Representatives member Yaichi Tanigawa has told party executives that he intends to resign if the Tokyo District Public Prosecutors Office builds a case against him, it was learned Tuesday.
Tanigawa, who was elected from Nagasaki Constituency No. 3, allegedly received over ¥40 million kickbacks from the Abe faction — to which he belongs — in relation to the sales of the faction’s political fundraising party tickets, but did not report the money.
If Tanigawa resigns by March 15, a by-election will occur on April 28.
"Politics" POPULAR ARTICLE
Japan, U.S., S. Korea Foreign Chiefs Confirm Plans to Work Closely to Strengthen Deterrence
U.S. Warned Japan of China’s Hacking of Official Diplomatic Telegram System; Reinforcing Cybersecurity Key Concern
U.S.: Japan’s Cybersecurity Measures ‘too Little, Too Late’
Japan to Revoke Permanent Residency If Foreigners Fail to Pay Taxes
Japan and U.S. to Commence Training in Late March for Tomahawk Missile Deployment
JN ACCESS RANKING
- Current Account Surplus Doubles in ’23
- ‘All-country’ Stock Mutual Funds Popular with NISA Investors
- Japan Real Wages Fall at Steepest Pace in 9 Years in 2023
- Pressure Mounting for Wage Increases in Shunto Negotiations; Fears about the Response of Struggling SMEs
- North Korean Workers in China Riot over Unpaid Wages; 2,000 Occupy Factory, Kill Plant Manager