- Politics & Government
Palau Shows Understanding for Fukushima Water Release
16:48 JST, June 15, 2023
TOKYO (Jiji Press) — Visiting Palau President Surangel Whipps Jr. on Wednesday showed understanding for the planned release into the sea of treated water from the crippled Fukushima No. 1 nuclear power plant.
At a meeting with Prime Minister Fumio Kishida in Tokyo, the president said he understood Japan’s efforts to ensure the safety of the water release, based on his visit a day earlier to the Tokyo Electric Power Company Holdings Inc. plant in Fukushima Prefecture.
Kishida stressed that Japan will never release the treated water in a way that affects human health and the marine environment.
Meanwhile, the two leaders agreed to strengthen cooperation to realize a free and open Indo-Pacific region in the face of China’s growing influence in the South Pacific.
Palau maintains diplomatic relations with Taiwan.
"Politics" POPULAR ARTICLE
Japan, U.S., South Korea Swiftly Share Radar Info for First Time, Letting Japan Track North Korean Missile More Quickly
China Deploys Multiple Warships Around Self-Claimed ADIZ
U.S. Warned Japan of China’s Hacking of Official Diplomatic Telegram System; Reinforcing Cybersecurity Key Concern
4 Chinese Warships Deployed Around Taiwan, Sources Say; Believed Ships Will Collaborate with Other Warships in East China Sea
Prime Minister Kishida to Meet Kenyan President William Ruto in Tokyo; Plans to Expand Bilateral Cooperation in Defense
JN ACCESS RANKING
- Japan Business Delegation, Chinese Premier Li Meet; Both Sides Tout Importance of Bilateral Economic Ties
- Japan Eyes 45 B. Yen in Aid for Optical Semiconductors
- Japan’s Job Availability Ratio Rises for 2nd Straight Year
- North Korean Workers in China Riot over Unpaid Wages; 2,000 Occupy Factory, Kill Plant Manager
- Business, Labor Leaders Reaffirm Vow to Raise Wages in Shunto Talks