- POLITICS & GOVERNMENT
Govt Extends Expressway Toll Collection Period
11:20 JST, June 1, 2023
TOKYO (Jiji Press) — The Diet enacted legislation Wednesday to extend the toll collection period for expressways across the country by up to 50 years until 2115.
The extension is aimed at securing funds necessary to update aging tunnels and bridges as expressway toll revenue is projected to drop due to the country’s declining population.
The funds will also be used to make all expressways have four lanes, a measure expected to help ease traffic congestion and reduce risks of expressway blockages during disasters.
"POLITICS" POPULAR ARTICLE
Govt Issues Emergency Warning Following N. Korea’s Missile Launch (Update 1)
Japan Provides Ukraine with Landmine Detectors, Vehicles
Xi Sends Condolence Letter to Kishida on Death of Soka Gakkai’s Daisaku Ikeda
‘Unexpected’ South Korea Court Decision in Favor of ‘Comfort Women’ Puts Damper on Improving Ties with Japan
Religious Group Soka Gakkai Has Strong Influence in Japan’s Political Landscape; Group Carries Significant Voter Influence
JN ACCESS RANKING
- Japan’s Economy Contracts as Demand Wanes
- Sardines and Mackerels Blanket Beach in Hokkaido; Local Fishermen ‘Never Seen This Many’
- Tsunami observed in Japanese coast after the earthquake near Philippines (UPDATE2)
- Autumn in Full Swing in Kyoto
- Japan Railway Operators Eye Net-zero CO2 Emissions Via Hydrogen Fuel Cell Trains