- POLITICS & GOVERNMENT
Quad Leaders to Meet in Hiroshima Instead of Sydney
15:19 JST, May 18, 2023
SYDNEY (Jiji Press) — Leaders of the Quad countries of Japan, the United States, Australia and India are planning to meet in Hiroshima instead of Sydney, Australian Prime Minister Anthony Albanese said Wednesday.
The Quad leaders previously planned to meet in the Australian city on May 24, but they are now considering gathering in Hiroshima on the sidelines of a Group of Seven summit, after U.S. President Joe Biden canceled a trip to Australia and Papua New Guinea.
Albanese said at a press conference that the Quad leaders “are attempting to get together over” the G7 summit period. G7 leaders meet in Hiroshima Friday through Sunday.
The Quad leaders are expected to discuss security and economic cooperation to ensure the stability of the Indo-Pacific region.
"POLITICS" POPULAR ARTICLE
Japan, U.S., S. Korea to Start Real-Time Missile Info Sharing
Taiwan’s Semiconductor Giants Build Overseas Amid Global Demand, Local Labor Shortage
Govt Issues Emergency Warning Following N. Korea’s Missile Launch (Update 1)
Japan Provides Ukraine with Landmine Detectors, Vehicles
Xi Sends Condolence Letter to Kishida on Death of Soka Gakkai’s Daisaku Ikeda
JN ACCESS RANKING
- Exports of Nishikigoi Carp to China Halted; Permits for Japanese Aquaculture Facilities By China Have Expired
- Japan April-Sept. Current Account Surplus Hits Record High
- AI-generated Child Porn Floods Japan-based Website (Update 1)
- BOJ Member Sought Tweak in Easing
- Bears Sighted in Tokyo Suburbs, Including near Mt. Takao (Update 1)