- POLITICS & GOVERNMENT
Kishida’s Kyiv Visit Not to Require Diet Approval: LDP Takagi
12:10 JST, February 28, 2023
Tokyo (Jiji Press)—-Prime Minister Fumio Kishida’s possible visit to Kyiv will not necessarily require advance approval of the Diet, Japan’s parliament, a Liberal Democratic Party executive said Monday.
Kishida is considering visiting the Ukrainian capital, but the prior parliamentary procedure has made it difficult for him to make a surprise visit for safety reasons.
Tsuyoshi Takagi, the ruling party’s Diet affairs chief, told reporters that there are cases in which such approval is not prerequisite. It is necessary to ensure the safety of Kishida’s trip, Takagi stressed.
Jun Azumi, Takagi’s counterpart at the leading opposition Constitutional Democratic Party of Japan, separately told reporters that the Diet should not prevent the prime minister from visiting Kyiv.
Kishida can report his trip to parliament when he returns, Azumi added.
"POLITICS" POPULAR ARTICLE
Japan, U.S., S. Korea to Start Real-Time Missile Info Sharing
Fake Video of Japan Prime Minister Kishida Triggers Fears of AI Being Used to Spread Misinformation
Taiwan’s Semiconductor Giants Build Overseas Amid Global Demand, Local Labor Shortage
Govt Issues Emergency Warning Following N. Korea’s Missile Launch (Update 1)
Japan Provides Ukraine with Landmine Detectors, Vehicles
JN ACCESS RANKING
- Japan, Vietnam Trade Ministers Discuss Supply Chains, IPEF
- BOJ Ueda: Japan Increasingly Likely to Hit Inflation Target
- Stimulus Package Set to Drive Greater Govt Borrowing; Likely Effectiveness Called into Question
- Food, Beverage Price Hikes Show Signs of Easing; Fuel Prices, Consumer Frugality Slowing Down Price Rises
- Japan 2023 Food Exports Reach 1 Tril. Yen at Record Pace