- POLITICS & GOVERNMENT
Kishida makes ‘masakaki’ ritual offering to Yasukuni
17:18 JST, October 17, 2022
TOKYO (Jiji Press) — Prime Minister Fumio Kishida made a ritual “masakaki” tree offering to Yasukuni Shrine in Tokyo on Monday, when the war-related shrine’s two-day autumn festival started.
Kishida is expected to refrain from visiting the Shinto shrine during the festival.
Yasukuni Shrine is regarded as a symbol of Japan’s past militarism, especially in the neighboring countries of China and South Korea, as it honors Class-A war criminals along with the war dead.
Among members of the Kishida cabinet, economic security minister Sanae Takaichi visited the shrine on Monday. After the visit, Takaichi told reporters, “I offered my gratitude to the souls of those who died for national affairs.”
"POLITICS" POPULAR ARTICLE
Japan, U.S., S. Korea to Start Real-Time Missile Info Sharing
Japan to Provide Defense Equipment to Philippines; Patrol Boats, Radars, Drones Have Deterrence Against China in Mind
Fake Video of Japan Prime Minister Kishida Triggers Fears of AI Being Used to Spread Misinformation
Taiwan’s Semiconductor Giants Build Overseas Amid Global Demand, Local Labor Shortage
Govt Issues Emergency Warning Following N. Korea’s Missile Launch (Update 1)
JN ACCESS RANKING
- Japan, Vietnam Trade Ministers Discuss Supply Chains, IPEF
- BOJ Ueda: Japan Increasingly Likely to Hit Inflation Target
- Stimulus Package Set to Drive Greater Govt Borrowing; Likely Effectiveness Called into Question
- Food, Beverage Price Hikes Show Signs of Easing; Fuel Prices, Consumer Frugality Slowing Down Price Rises
- AI-generated Child Porn Floods Japan-based Website (Update 1)