- POLITICS & GOVERNMENT
Japan to retaliate for treatment of consul in Russia by expelling Russian counterpart
13:37 JST, October 4, 2022
Tokyo is making arrangements to expel a Russian consul in retaliation for Moscow doing the same to a Japanese consul in Vladivostok.
The government sources said Monday that Russia will soon be notified.
The Russian government temporarily detained the Japanese consul on Sept. 22, claiming that the consul illegally obtained classified information. The consul was then declared persona non grata and left Russia.
Tokyo had lodged a protest and warned Moscow of taking “appropriate measures.” Japan will also consider declaring a Russian consul persona non grata.
"POLITICS" POPULAR ARTICLE
Japan, U.S., S. Korea to Start Real-Time Missile Info Sharing
Taiwan’s Semiconductor Giants Build Overseas Amid Global Demand, Local Labor Shortage
Govt Issues Emergency Warning Following N. Korea’s Missile Launch (Update 1)
Japan Provides Ukraine with Landmine Detectors, Vehicles
Xi Sends Condolence Letter to Kishida on Death of Soka Gakkai’s Daisaku Ikeda
JN ACCESS RANKING
- Japan’s Economy Contracts as Demand Wanes
- AI-generated Child Porn Floods Japan-based Website (Update 1)
- Bears Sighted in Tokyo Suburbs, Including near Mt. Takao (Update 1)
- Tokyo Dips below 10 C; Temperatures Fall in Japan
- Tsunami observed in Japanese coast after the earthquake near Philippines (UPDATE2)