- Politics & Government
Biden to visit Japan in May
14:50 JST, April 28, 2022
U.S. President Joe Biden will visit Japan on May 22-24, Chief Cabinet Secretary Hirokazu Matsuno said Thursday.
Biden plans to have his first formal in-person meeting with Prime Minister Fumio Kishida on May 23. The following day, he will participate in a Japan-hosted summit of the Quad, a framework for cooperation among Japan, the United States, Australia and India.
This will be Biden’s first visit to Japan since he took office.
Kishida and Biden are expected to discuss such issues as measures against Russia’s invasion of Ukraine and responses to China’s increasingly hegemonic actions.
“We hope the visit will be an opportunity to confirm our close bilateral cooperation on all fronts, including deepening the Japan-U.S. alliance and realizing a free and open Indo-Pacific,” Matsuno said at a press conference.
The White House also announced that Biden would visit Japan and South Korea on May 20-24. In South Korea, the U.S. president is scheduled to meet with newly elected President Yoon Suk-yeol, who will assume office on May 10.
"Politics" POPULAR ARTICLE
Japan, U.S., South Korea Swiftly Share Radar Info for First Time, Letting Japan Track North Korean Missile More Quickly
Japan, U.S., S. Korea Foreign Chiefs Confirm Plans to Work Closely to Strengthen Deterrence
U.S. Warned Japan of China’s Hacking of Official Diplomatic Telegram System; Reinforcing Cybersecurity Key Concern
U.S.: Japan’s Cybersecurity Measures ‘too Little, Too Late’
Japan and U.S. to Commence Training in Late March for Tomahawk Missile Deployment
JN ACCESS RANKING
- Current Account Surplus Doubles in ’23
- Japan Real Wages Fall at Steepest Pace in 9 Years in 2023
- Pressure Mounting for Wage Increases in Shunto Negotiations; Fears about the Response of Struggling SMEs
- North Korean Workers in China Riot over Unpaid Wages; 2,000 Occupy Factory, Kill Plant Manager
- JCG Captain Mistook ‘No. 1’ Position for Permission to Take off Prior to Haneda Accident; Voice Recorders Being Analyzed