- POLITICS & GOVERNMENT
Nippon Ishin coleader Katayama to step down due to poor health
November 27, 2021
TOKYO (Jiji Press) — Toranosuke Katayama, coleader of Nippon Ishin no Kai (Japan Innovation Party), has decided to step down due to his poor health condition, a senior Nippon Ishin member said Friday.
The party executive said the decision by Katayama has been informed by a relative of his. His resignation is expected to be announced at an extraordinary party convention on Saturday.
Katayama has been elected five times to the House of Councillors. His first election was in 1989, when he ran as a candidate of the ruling Liberal Democratic Party.
After losing his upper house seat in 2007, Katayama left the LDP. He then joined Nippon Ishin and has served as a coleader since 2015.
"POLITICS" POPULAR ARTICLE
Japan, U.S., S. Korea to Start Real-Time Missile Info Sharing
Taiwan’s Semiconductor Giants Build Overseas Amid Global Demand, Local Labor Shortage
Govt Issues Emergency Warning Following N. Korea’s Missile Launch (Update 1)
Japan Provides Ukraine with Landmine Detectors, Vehicles
Xi Sends Condolence Letter to Kishida on Death of Soka Gakkai’s Daisaku Ikeda
JN ACCESS RANKING
- Exports of Nishikigoi Carp to China Halted; Permits for Japanese Aquaculture Facilities By China Have Expired
- Japan April-Sept. Current Account Surplus Hits Record High
- Japan’s Economy Contracts as Demand Wanes
- AI-generated Child Porn Floods Japan-based Website (Update 1)
- BOJ Member Sought Tweak in Easing