- DEFENSE & SECURITY
Japan’s GSDF Holds Live-Fire Drill
13:04 JST, May 28, 2023
The Ground Self-Defense Force held one of its largest live-fire exercises on Saturday in Shizuoka Prefecture.
The exercise at the Higashi Fuji Maneuver Area envisioned the retaking of a position on a remote island occupied by an enemy. About 3,400 personnel participated in the drill, which was called the Fuji Firepower Review.
Around 4,200 people, including students of the GSDF’s Fuji School and the National Defense Academy, observed the drill. About 57 tons of ammunition worth about ¥1.07 billion were used.
The exercises had attracted a large public audience before the COVID-19 pandemic, but from this year’s exercise, the 65th annual event of its kind, the GSDF decided to stop inviting the public to focus on educating and training personnel. This year’s exercise was broadcast online.
"POLITICS" POPULAR ARTICLE
Japan, U.S., S. Korea to Start Real-Time Missile Info Sharing
Taiwan’s Semiconductor Giants Build Overseas Amid Global Demand, Local Labor Shortage
Govt Issues Emergency Warning Following N. Korea’s Missile Launch (Update 1)
Japan Provides Ukraine with Landmine Detectors, Vehicles
Xi Sends Condolence Letter to Kishida on Death of Soka Gakkai’s Daisaku Ikeda
JN ACCESS RANKING
- Exports of Nishikigoi Carp to China Halted; Permits for Japanese Aquaculture Facilities By China Have Expired
- Japan April-Sept. Current Account Surplus Hits Record High
- Japan 2023 Food Exports Reach 1 Tril. Yen at Record Pace
- 69.7 Bil. Yen in COVID-19 Loans to Small Businesses Uncollectible
- AI-generated Child Porn Floods Japan-based Website (Update 1)