- DEFENSE & SECURITY
Russia Conducts Air Drill in Kuril Islands Ahead of G7 Summit
14:53 JST, May 17, 2023
Russia announced Tuesday that it conducted an air defense drill in the Kuril Islands using the S-300V4, a high-performance surface-to-air missile.
The electronic launch drill, which does not fire missiles, was carried out by the Eastern Military District of the Russian Armed Forces under the assumption that hypothetical enemy aircraft had invaded the territorial airspace.
It is believed that Moscow wanted to demonstrate to Tokyo that the northern territories are part of Russia before Japan hosts the G7 summit in Hiroshima from Friday.
"POLITICS" POPULAR ARTICLE
Japan, U.S., S. Korea to Start Real-Time Missile Info Sharing
Taiwan’s Semiconductor Giants Build Overseas Amid Global Demand, Local Labor Shortage
Govt Issues Emergency Warning Following N. Korea’s Missile Launch (Update 1)
Japan Provides Ukraine with Landmine Detectors, Vehicles
Xi Sends Condolence Letter to Kishida on Death of Soka Gakkai’s Daisaku Ikeda
JN ACCESS RANKING
- Japan’s Economy Contracts as Demand Wanes
- AI-generated Child Porn Floods Japan-based Website (Update 1)
- Bears Sighted in Tokyo Suburbs, Including near Mt. Takao (Update 1)
- Tokyo Dips below 10 C; Temperatures Fall in Japan
- Tsunami observed in Japanese coast after the earthquake near Philippines (UPDATE2)