- DEFENSE & SECURITY
GSDF Chief Yoshihide Yoshida to Be Chief of the Joint Staff
18:10 JST, March 14, 2023
The government plans to appoint current Ground Self-Defense Force Chief of Staff Yoshihide Yoshida to the post of chief of the Joint Staff, the top uniformed officer of the Self-Defense Forces. The appointment is expected to be finalized during a Cabinet meeting by the end of March.
Koji Yamazaki, who has served as chief of the Joint Staff since April 2019, will step down.
Yoshida, 60, graduated from the University of Tokyo in 1986. He is the first person to assume the post that didn’t graduate from the National Defense Academy. Yoshida has served as the GSDF’s Chief of Staff since March 2021, after serving as the GSDF’s Northern Army Commanding General among other positions.
"POLITICS" POPULAR ARTICLE
Japan, U.S., S. Korea to Start Real-Time Missile Info Sharing
Taiwan’s Semiconductor Giants Build Overseas Amid Global Demand, Local Labor Shortage
Govt Issues Emergency Warning Following N. Korea’s Missile Launch (Update 1)
Japan Provides Ukraine with Landmine Detectors, Vehicles
‘Unexpected’ South Korea Court Decision in Favor of ‘Comfort Women’ Puts Damper on Improving Ties with Japan
JN ACCESS RANKING
- BOJ Ueda: Japan Increasingly Likely to Hit Inflation Target
- Exports of Nishikigoi Carp to China Halted; Permits for Japanese Aquaculture Facilities By China Have Expired
- Japan April-Sept. Current Account Surplus Hits Record High
- Food, Beverage Price Hikes Show Signs of Easing; Fuel Prices, Consumer Frugality Slowing Down Price Rises
- Japan 2023 Food Exports Reach 1 Tril. Yen at Record Pace