- DEFENSE & SECURITY
Self-Defense Force, U.S. Marines Hold Joint Drill in Oita Pref.
13:37 JST, February 19, 2023
The Ground Self-Defense Force held a press viewing of Iron Fist, a joint Japan-U.S. training exercise, at the Hijudai maneuvering ground in Oita Prefecture on Saturday.
The drill among GSDF and U.S. Marine Corps personnel has been conducted in California since 2005. This was the first time the exercise was held in Japan with the participation of U.S. marines stationed in Okinawa Prefecture.
As part of the exercise, members of the GSDF’s Amphibious Rapid Deployment Brigade, which is responsible for defending remote islands, were deployed to an area of the maneuvering ground demarcated as a remote island occupied by enemy forces. They confirmed the procedures for taking control of the area together with marines who arrived on two MV22 Osprey transport aircrafts.
"POLITICS" POPULAR ARTICLE
Japan, U.S., S. Korea to Start Real-Time Missile Info Sharing
Fake Video of Japan Prime Minister Kishida Triggers Fears of AI Being Used to Spread Misinformation
Taiwan’s Semiconductor Giants Build Overseas Amid Global Demand, Local Labor Shortage
Govt Issues Emergency Warning Following N. Korea’s Missile Launch (Update 1)
Japan Provides Ukraine with Landmine Detectors, Vehicles
JN ACCESS RANKING
- Japan, Vietnam Trade Ministers Discuss Supply Chains, IPEF
- BOJ Ueda: Japan Increasingly Likely to Hit Inflation Target
- Food, Beverage Price Hikes Show Signs of Easing; Fuel Prices, Consumer Frugality Slowing Down Price Rises
- Japan 2023 Food Exports Reach 1 Tril. Yen at Record Pace
- 69.7 Bil. Yen in COVID-19 Loans to Small Businesses Uncollectible