- DEFENSE & SECURITY
China moving to build structure in East China Sea
15:03 JST, June 18, 2022
TOKYO (Jiji Press) — The Foreign Ministry said Friday that it has confirmed moves by China to transport a foundation for a new structure on the western side of the Japan-China median line in the East China Sea.
Tokyo had already confirmed the existence of 17 Chinese structures, including an excavating facility, built in the area.
Takehiro Funakoshi, director-general of the ministry’s Asian and Oceanian Affairs Bureau, expressed his deep regret over China’s unilateral development in the sea, over the phone with a senior official at the Chinese Embassy in Tokyo.
The Japanese and Chinese governments agreed in 2008 to jointly develop a natural gas field in the East China Sea. Talks on details have stalled, however, and China has been moving to develop the area unilaterally.
"POLITICS" POPULAR ARTICLE
Japan, U.S., S. Korea to Start Real-Time Missile Info Sharing
Taiwan’s Semiconductor Giants Build Overseas Amid Global Demand, Local Labor Shortage
Govt Issues Emergency Warning Following N. Korea’s Missile Launch (Update 1)
Japan Provides Ukraine with Landmine Detectors, Vehicles
Xi Sends Condolence Letter to Kishida on Death of Soka Gakkai’s Daisaku Ikeda
JN ACCESS RANKING
- Exports of Nishikigoi Carp to China Halted; Permits for Japanese Aquaculture Facilities By China Have Expired
- Japan April-Sept. Current Account Surplus Hits Record High
- Food, Beverage Price Hikes Show Signs of Easing; Fuel Prices, Consumer Frugality Slowing Down Price Rises
- Japan 2023 Food Exports Reach 1 Tril. Yen at Record Pace
- 69.7 Bil. Yen in COVID-19 Loans to Small Businesses Uncollectible