China moving to build structure in East China Sea
15:03 JST, June 18, 2022
TOKYO (Jiji Press) — The Foreign Ministry said Friday that it has confirmed moves by China to transport a foundation for a new structure on the western side of the Japan-China median line in the East China Sea.
Tokyo had already confirmed the existence of 17 Chinese structures, including an excavating facility, built in the area.
Takehiro Funakoshi, director-general of the ministry’s Asian and Oceanian Affairs Bureau, expressed his deep regret over China’s unilateral development in the sea, over the phone with a senior official at the Chinese Embassy in Tokyo.
The Japanese and Chinese governments agreed in 2008 to jointly develop a natural gas field in the East China Sea. Talks on details have stalled, however, and China has been moving to develop the area unilaterally.
"POLITICS" POPULAR ARTICLE
Defense minister to China: Concerns exist between Japan and China
Japan scrambled aircraft 4.5 times more this May than last
Japan to promise developing nations tens of billions of yen in food aid at G7 summit
U.S. ambassador sees Japan-U.S. alliance shifting to a larger domain
U.S. mediation aids trilateral ties with Japan, South Korea
JN ACCESS RANKING
- Fukushima lab releases images of ‘highly likely’ UFOs
- Ajiichi Hojo / Modern flavors in a history-steeped building
- Japan-sponsored bridge opens in South Sudan, raising hopes for peace and development
- Defense minister to China: Concerns exist between Japan and China
- Japan scrambled aircraft 4.5 times more this May than last