Sumo: Kirishima Pulls Out of 1st Tourney as Ozeki
17:21 JST, July 10, 2023
NAGOYA — Newly promoted ozeki Kirishima never even made it into the ring for his debut.
The 27-year-old Kirishima pulled out of the Nagoya Grand Sumo Tournament on Sunday prior to the first day of action due to a right rib-cage injury that will take three weeks to recover.
It marks the first time since the Showa era (1926-1989) and beyond that a newly promoted ozeki lost by default on the first day of a tournament.
And with fellow ozeki Takakeisho already sitting out the tournament, it is the first time that all ozeki on the rankings list are missing from the first day.
"Sports" POPULAR ARTICLE
Sumo: Former Ozeki Tochinoshin Retires with Ceremonial Snip of His Top-knot
Kotonowaka Takes on First Duty as Ozeki in Setsubun Ceremony; Event Took Place at Tsubaki Shrine in Mie Prefecture
Ex-yokozuna Hakuho to Face Demotion in JSA over Violence by Stable’s Wrestler
Kiyoto Hirabayashi of Kokugakuin University Wins Osaka Marathon V; Does Not Break Qualifying Time for Paris Olympics
Criminal Complaints Filed by Japan Soccer Player Junya Ito, 2 Women
JN ACCESS RANKING
- Current Account Surplus Doubles in ’23
- Business, Labor Leaders Reaffirm Vow to Raise Wages in Shunto Talks
- Japan Real Wages Fall at Steepest Pace in 9 Years in 2023
- Pressure Mounting for Wage Increases in Shunto Negotiations; Fears about the Response of Struggling SMEs
- North Korean Workers in China Riot over Unpaid Wages; 2,000 Occupy Factory, Kill Plant Manager