- POLITICS & GOVERNMENT
Ex-PM Suga Warns against Early General Election
1:00 JST, May 15, 2023
TOKYO (Jiji Press) — Former Japanese Prime Minister Yoshihide Suga of the ruling Liberal Democratic Party on Sunday warned against dissolving the House of Representatives for an early general election.
“We are not in such a situation,” Suga said in a Fuji Television program. “We must fully accept” the results of last month’s parliamentary by-elections, which highlighted the LDP’s narrow victories, he added.
Meanwhile, Suga noted that the power to dissolve the lower house belongs to incumbent Prime Minister Fumio Kishida.
On how to finance measures against the country’s declining birthrate, the former prime minister said it is important to take a close look at the entire social security system, instead of resorting to raising social insurance premiums.
"POLITICS" POPULAR ARTICLE
Japan, U.S., S. Korea to Start Real-Time Missile Info Sharing
Fake Video of Japan Prime Minister Kishida Triggers Fears of AI Being Used to Spread Misinformation
Taiwan’s Semiconductor Giants Build Overseas Amid Global Demand, Local Labor Shortage
Govt Issues Emergency Warning Following N. Korea’s Missile Launch (Update 1)
Japan Provides Ukraine with Landmine Detectors, Vehicles
JN ACCESS RANKING
- Japan, Vietnam Trade Ministers Discuss Supply Chains, IPEF
- BOJ Ueda: Japan Increasingly Likely to Hit Inflation Target
- Stimulus Package Set to Drive Greater Govt Borrowing; Likely Effectiveness Called into Question
- Food, Beverage Price Hikes Show Signs of Easing; Fuel Prices, Consumer Frugality Slowing Down Price Rises
- Japan 2023 Food Exports Reach 1 Tril. Yen at Record Pace