- DEFENSE & SECURITY
Japan conveys worries to Solomon Islands over China pact
15:32 JST, August 19, 2022
TOKYO (Jiji Press) — Foreign Minister Yoshimasa Hayashi on Thursday told his Solomon Islands counterpart, Jeremiah Manele, of Tokyo’s concerns over a security pact that the South Pacific island country concluded with China in April.
Hayashi told Manele by phone that it is important to dispel worries harbored by other countries about the pact.
The Japanese minister sought understanding of the planned release of treated radioactive water into the ocean from Tokyo Electric Power Company Holdings Inc.’s crippled Fukushima No. 1 nuclear plant.
Japan will carry out the water release with high transparency while meeting international and domestic safety standards, Hayashi said.
"POLITICS" POPULAR ARTICLE
Japan, U.S., S. Korea to Start Real-Time Missile Info Sharing
Fake Video of Japan Prime Minister Kishida Triggers Fears of AI Being Used to Spread Misinformation
Taiwan’s Semiconductor Giants Build Overseas Amid Global Demand, Local Labor Shortage
Govt Issues Emergency Warning Following N. Korea’s Missile Launch (Update 1)
Japan Provides Ukraine with Landmine Detectors, Vehicles
JN ACCESS RANKING
- Japan, Vietnam Trade Ministers Discuss Supply Chains, IPEF
- BOJ Ueda: Japan Increasingly Likely to Hit Inflation Target
- Stimulus Package Set to Drive Greater Govt Borrowing; Likely Effectiveness Called into Question
- Food, Beverage Price Hikes Show Signs of Easing; Fuel Prices, Consumer Frugality Slowing Down Price Rises
- Japan 2023 Food Exports Reach 1 Tril. Yen at Record Pace