- DEFENSE & SECURITY
Chinese military drones spotted near Okinawa
14:34 JST, August 5, 2022
Two Chinese military drones flew near the Sakishima Islands in Okinawa Prefecture on Thursday, the Japanese Defense Ministry said Friday.
The drones are believed to be part of a large-scale military exercise that Beijing is conducting in the seas and skies around Taiwan.
Japan scrambled Air Self-Defense Force fighter jets in response, though there was no incursion into Japanese airspace.
According to the ministry, a reconnaissance drone and a surveillance-attack drone flew from the East China Sea on Thursday morning.
The two drones traveled a nearly identical route, though at different times. They moved southward between the main island of Okinawa and Miyakojima island, over the Pacific Ocean then circled south of the Sakishima Islands. They subsequently headed back to the East China Sea on Thursday night, taking the same route.
Separately, a different drone believed to belong to the Chinese military was spotted circling over waters off northeastern Taiwan on Thursday.
"POLITICS" POPULAR ARTICLE
Japan, U.S., S. Korea to Start Real-Time Missile Info Sharing
Taiwan’s Semiconductor Giants Build Overseas Amid Global Demand, Local Labor Shortage
Govt Issues Emergency Warning Following N. Korea’s Missile Launch (Update 1)
Japan Provides Ukraine with Landmine Detectors, Vehicles
‘Unexpected’ South Korea Court Decision in Favor of ‘Comfort Women’ Puts Damper on Improving Ties with Japan
JN ACCESS RANKING
- Exports of Nishikigoi Carp to China Halted; Permits for Japanese Aquaculture Facilities By China Have Expired
- Japan April-Sept. Current Account Surplus Hits Record High
- Food, Beverage Price Hikes Show Signs of Easing; Fuel Prices, Consumer Frugality Slowing Down Price Rises
- Japan 2023 Food Exports Reach 1 Tril. Yen at Record Pace
- 69.7 Bil. Yen in COVID-19 Loans to Small Businesses Uncollectible