More than 1,000 Ukrainian prisoners sent to Russia for investigation -Tass
9:48 JST, June 8, 2022
More than 1,000 Ukrainian soldiers who surrendered in the city of Mariupol have been transferred to Russia for investigation, Tass news agency reported on Tuesday, citing a Russian law enforcement source.
If confirmed, the news could undermine already troubled peace talks between the two sides.
Kyiv is seeking the handover of all the estimated 2,000 defenders from the Azovstal plant in a prisoner swap, but Russian lawmakers have demanded that some of the soldiers be put on trial.
“More than 1000 people from Azovstal were brought to Russia. Law enforcement organs are working with them closely,” Tass quoted the source as saying. It did not give details about what might happen next.
The source also told Tass than later on, more Ukrainian prisoners would be sent to Russia.
"NEWS SERVICES" POPULAR ARTICLE
Russia summons heads of U.S. media outlets, warns of ‘stringent measures’
Turkey lifts its objections to Sweden, Finland joining NATO
Ukraine’s volunteer ‘Kraken’ unit takes the fight to the Russians
Russian missile strike hits crowded shopping mall in Ukraine
Leaders pledge arms and EU path for Ukraine in Kyiv visit
JN ACCESS RANKING
- Fukushima lab releases images of ‘highly likely’ UFOs
- Ajiichi Hojo / Modern flavors in a history-steeped building
- Japan-sponsored bridge opens in South Sudan, raising hopes for peace and development
- Defense minister to China: Concerns exist between Japan and China
- Japan scrambled aircraft 4.5 times more this May than last