- TRAVEL SPOTS
Baby Flying Squirrels Grow in Nest Box in Karuizawa Forest
12:56 JST, July 6, 2023
KARUIZAWA, Nagano — Two baby flying squirrels are steadily growing in a nest box set up in a forest in Karuizawa, Nagano Prefecture.
Picchio, a company working on the preservation of eco-systems and other areas, set up the nest box.
Though the exact dates of the births of the two babies are unknown, officials of the company said that flying squirrels generally give birth in April, and babies begin going out of their nests around June.
Because flying squirrels are nocturnally active, the babies spend time in the nest box during the day. But they sometimes show their faces when they look outside.
The company organizes a guided tour to observe flying squirrels leaving their nests and searching for food after sunset.
The company said participants can see flying squirrels until around November.
"FEATURES" POPULAR ARTICLE
Kyoto Train Offers Passengers Journey Wrapped in Autumn Colors via Maple Tree Tunnel
Korea Craze in Japan Unlikely to End Anytime Soon; Shin-Okubo is a Hub of Korean Pop Culture, Food
Kintetsu Dept Store, Fujiya Open New Pekolicious Sweets Shop in Osaka
Nagasaki: Mom, Young Daughter Help Keep Mask-changing Chinese Art Alive
JN ACCESS RANKING
- Japan, Vietnam Trade Ministers Discuss Supply Chains, IPEF
- BOJ Ueda: Japan Increasingly Likely to Hit Inflation Target
- Stimulus Package Set to Drive Greater Govt Borrowing; Likely Effectiveness Called into Question
- Food, Beverage Price Hikes Show Signs of Easing; Fuel Prices, Consumer Frugality Slowing Down Price Rises
- AI-generated Child Porn Floods Japan-based Website (Update 1)