Naomi Osaka withdraws from Australian Open
16:27 JST, January 8, 2023
Two-time champion Naomi Osaka has withdrawn from the Australian Open, tournament organizers announced early Sunday morning.
Osaka, 25, was replaced by Ukraine’s Dayana Yastremska.
Osaka, down to No. 47 in the world, hasn’t played since September when she also withdrew during the second round in Tokyo. Osaka won her first match in that event when Daria Saville was forced to WD with a knee injury after one game.
Osaka won the Aussie Open in 2019 and 2021.
Venus Williams also withdrew from the event after sustaining an injury this week at the ASB Classic in Auckland, New Zealand.
The Australian Open begins Jan. 16 in Melbourne.
"SPORTS" POPULAR ARTICLE
Hanshin Tigers Win Japan Series for First Time in 38 Years, Beating Orix Buffaloes in Game 7
Japanese Skater Yuzuru Hanyu Announces Divorce
Shohei Ohtani to Donate Gloves to 20,000 Elementary Schools
Sumo in Crisis as Dwindling Number of Wrestlers Forces Body to Knock Over Tradition
Shohei Ohtani, Baseball’s 2-Way Star, Becomes First 2-Time Unanimous MVP (UPDATE 1)
JN ACCESS RANKING
- Japan, Vietnam Trade Ministers Discuss Supply Chains, IPEF
- BOJ Ueda: Japan Increasingly Likely to Hit Inflation Target
- Stimulus Package Set to Drive Greater Govt Borrowing; Likely Effectiveness Called into Question
- Food, Beverage Price Hikes Show Signs of Easing; Fuel Prices, Consumer Frugality Slowing Down Price Rises
- Japan 2023 Food Exports Reach 1 Tril. Yen at Record Pace