Modified Toyota Century To Be Used For Victory Ride of Sumo Champion
20:15 JST, January 13, 2024
Toyota Motor Corp. unveiled a modified version of its top-of-the-line Century on Saturday at Tokyo’s Ryogoku Kokugikan in which the winner of the upcoming New Year Grand Sumo Tournament will be taken for a victory ride.
The car, a Century sport utility vehicle that was first launched last year, features reinforced suspension springs to handle the added weight of the heavy sumo wrestlers. The company made the SUV into a convertible by removing the roof.
Toyota Chairman Akio Toyoda started development of the “sumofied” vehicle about a year ago at the request of former yokozuna Hakuho, now stablemaster Miyagino, with whom he has a close relationship.
“I’m grateful that the Century was chosen as the car that only the champion can ride in,” Toyoda said.
Up to now, the Toyota Crown has been used for the victory parade.
The New Year tournament starts Sunday, with the champion to be crowned on Jan. 28 before being taken for a victory ride.
"Sports" POPULAR ARTICLE
Sumo: Former Ozeki Tochinoshin Retires with Ceremonial Snip of His Top-knot
Kotonowaka Takes on First Duty as Ozeki in Setsubun Ceremony; Event Took Place at Tsubaki Shrine in Mie Prefecture
Criminal Complaints Filed by Japan Soccer Player Junya Ito, 2 Women
Terunofuji Captures 9th Title With Win in New Year Tourney Playoff
Japan’s Rei Sakamoto Wins Australian Open Junior Boys’ Final
JN ACCESS RANKING
- Japan Business Delegation, Chinese Premier Li Meet; Both Sides Tout Importance of Bilateral Economic Ties
- Japan Logs Trade Deficit of ¥9.29 Tril. in 2023
- Japan Business Delegation in Beijing for 1st Time in 4 Years; Participants Scheduled to Meet with Premier Li Qiang
- Japan Eyes 45 B. Yen in Aid for Optical Semiconductors
- Japan’s Job Availability Ratio Rises for 2nd Straight Year