Arsenal Defender Tomiyasu Has Knee Surgery, Done for Season
15:22 JST, March 22, 2023
LONDON (AP) — Arsenal defender Takehiro Tomiyasu underwent knee surgery Tuesday and will miss the remainder of the season, the Premier League leading club said.
The 24-year-old Japan international sustained a “significant” injury to his right knee during a Europa League match last Thursday.
Arsenal, which exited the second-tier European competition after the penalty-shootout loss to Sporting Lisbon, said Tomiyasu “had successful surgery in London.”
“Everyone at the club will now be working hard with Tomi, so he can join preseason training ahead of next season,” the club said in a statement.
Tomiyasu made 31 appearances this season. Most of his starts had come in the Europa League and FA Cup.
"SPORTS" POPULAR ARTICLE
Hanshin Tigers Win Japan Series for First Time in 38 Years, Beating Orix Buffaloes in Game 7
Japanese Skater Yuzuru Hanyu Announces Divorce
Shohei Ohtani to Donate Gloves to 20,000 Elementary Schools
Sumo in Crisis as Dwindling Number of Wrestlers Forces Body to Knock Over Tradition
Shohei Ohtani, Baseball’s 2-Way Star, Becomes First 2-Time Unanimous MVP (UPDATE 1)
JN ACCESS RANKING
- BOJ Ueda: Japan Increasingly Likely to Hit Inflation Target
- Japan April-Sept. Current Account Surplus Hits Record High
- Food, Beverage Price Hikes Show Signs of Easing; Fuel Prices, Consumer Frugality Slowing Down Price Rises
- Japan 2023 Food Exports Reach 1 Tril. Yen at Record Pace
- 69.7 Bil. Yen in COVID-19 Loans to Small Businesses Uncollectible