- SOCCER WORLD CUP
Samurai Blue back on practice field to prep for making history
11:12 JST, December 4, 2022
DOHA — Members of Japan’s national soccer team were back on the training field in Doha on Saturday to prepare for Monday’s match against Croatia, in a bid to make the FIFA World Cup quarterfinals for the first time.
The Samurai Blue defeated Spain on Thursday, advancing to the knockout phase of the tournament as the winners of Group E.
In the training session, held after a rest day following the upset win over Spain, the players looked relaxed as they warmed up with running and other activities before having a closed-door practice.
“I want to make history with the help of many people,” said midfielder Ao Tanaka, who netted the go-ahead goal against Spain.
"SPORTS" POPULAR ARTICLE
Japanese Skater Yuzuru Hanyu Announces Divorce
Sumo in Crisis as Dwindling Number of Wrestlers Forces Body to Knock Over Tradition
Shohei Ohtani, Baseball’s 2-Way Star, Becomes First 2-Time Unanimous MVP (UPDATE 1)
The Sumo Scene / Grand Sumo Tournament Wrestlers Find Power in Local Food; Powerful Wrestler Chiyonofuji Remembered
The Sumo Scene / Top-ranked Referee Shikimori Inosuke Also Earns Elite Status in Name
JN ACCESS RANKING
- Exports of Nishikigoi Carp to China Halted; Permits for Japanese Aquaculture Facilities By China Have Expired
- Japan’s Economy Contracts as Demand Wanes
- AI-generated Child Porn Floods Japan-based Website (Update 1)
- BOJ Member Sought Tweak in Easing
- Bears Sighted in Tokyo Suburbs, Including near Mt. Takao (Update 1)