- SOCCER WORLD CUP
14:21 JST, November 21, 2022
AL KHOR, Qatar — Jubilant Qatari and Ecuadorian supporters gather ahead of the opening match of the FIFA World Cup soccer tournament at Al Bayt Stadium in Al Khor, Qatar, on Sunday.
The tournament’s opening ceremony and opening match were held at the stadium, which is north of Doha. Past tournament mascots also made an appearance to enhance the ceremony.
The 32 participating teams are playing in eight groups. Japan’s first match in Group E will be against Germany on Wednesday. The final match will be played Dec. 18.
"SPORTS" POPULAR ARTICLE
Japanese Skater Yuzuru Hanyu Announces Divorce
Sumo in Crisis as Dwindling Number of Wrestlers Forces Body to Knock Over Tradition
Shohei Ohtani, Baseball’s 2-Way Star, Becomes First 2-Time Unanimous MVP (UPDATE 1)
The Sumo Scene / Top-ranked Referee Shikimori Inosuke Also Earns Elite Status in Name
The Sumo Scene / Grand Sumo Tournament Wrestlers Find Power in Local Food; Powerful Wrestler Chiyonofuji Remembered
JN ACCESS RANKING
- Japan’s Economy Contracts as Demand Wanes
- AI-generated Child Porn Floods Japan-based Website (Update 1)
- Bears Sighted in Tokyo Suburbs, Including near Mt. Takao (Update 1)
- Tokyo Dips below 10 C; Temperatures Fall in Japan
- Tsunami observed in Japanese coast after the earthquake near Philippines (UPDATE2)