- SOCCER WORLD CUP
Japan announces squad for Qatar World Cup
17:36 JST, November 1, 2022
The Japan Football Association announced Tuesday the Japan national team’s squad of 26 for the upcoming FIFA World Cup tournament, set to kick off on Nov. 20 in Qatar.
The Samurai Blue team includes captain and defender Maya Yoshida of Germany’s Schalke 04 and midfielders Wataru Endo of Germany’s Stuttgart and Junya Ito of France’s Stade de Reims.
“We have set a goal of advancing to quarterfinals,” head coach Hajime Moriyasu said at a press conference in Tokyo. “It is not an easy goal, but we will be able to achieve it without fail. We would like to fight with pride as the Japanese national team along with our supporters.”
The team has been drawn into Group E and will play Germany on Nov. 23, Costa Rica on Nov. 27 and Spain on Dec. 2. The top two teams in each group advance to the knockout stages.
■Related story below, please check:
"SPORTS" POPULAR ARTICLE
Hanshin Tigers Win Japan Series for First Time in 38 Years, Beating Orix Buffaloes in Game 7
Japanese Skater Yuzuru Hanyu Announces Divorce
Shohei Ohtani to Donate Gloves to 20,000 Elementary Schools
Sumo in Crisis as Dwindling Number of Wrestlers Forces Body to Knock Over Tradition
Shohei Ohtani, Baseball’s 2-Way Star, Becomes First 2-Time Unanimous MVP (UPDATE 1)
JN ACCESS RANKING
- Japan, Vietnam Trade Ministers Discuss Supply Chains, IPEF
- BOJ Ueda: Japan Increasingly Likely to Hit Inflation Target
- Food, Beverage Price Hikes Show Signs of Easing; Fuel Prices, Consumer Frugality Slowing Down Price Rises
- Japan 2023 Food Exports Reach 1 Tril. Yen at Record Pace
- 69.7 Bil. Yen in COVID-19 Loans to Small Businesses Uncollectible