Darvish Dominant, Tatis Homers Twice in Padres’ 6-0 Win over Cubs
14:28 JST, June 4, 2023
SAN DIEGO (AP) — Yu Darvish struck out nine in seven dominant innings, Fernando Tatis Jr. homered twice and the San Diego Padres beat the Chicago Cubs 6-0 on Saturday night.
Darvish (4-4) had a masterful bounce-back game after a bad outing May 28 when he gave up seven runs in 2 2/3 innings in a 10-7 loss at the New York Yankees.
Against the Cubs, Darvish was in complete command and kept the hitters off-balance all night, giving up just two singles — Chicago’s only hits of the game — and one walk.
Tatis hit a solo homer in the third and a three-run blast in the eighth for his 11th of the season and 10th multi-homer game in his career. Both home runs were to left-center field.
Nick Martinez struck out two in the eighth and Brent Honeywell had one strikeout in the ninth to complete the shutout.
Cubs starter Drew Smyly (5-3) took the loss, lasting 5-2/3 innings, giving up three runs and seven hits.
"SPORTS" POPULAR ARTICLE
Hanshin Tigers Win Japan Series for First Time in 38 Years, Beating Orix Buffaloes in Game 7
Japanese Skater Yuzuru Hanyu Announces Divorce
Shohei Ohtani to Donate Gloves to 20,000 Elementary Schools
Sumo in Crisis as Dwindling Number of Wrestlers Forces Body to Knock Over Tradition
Shohei Ohtani, Baseball’s 2-Way Star, Becomes First 2-Time Unanimous MVP (UPDATE 1)
JN ACCESS RANKING
- Japan, Vietnam Trade Ministers Discuss Supply Chains, IPEF
- BOJ Ueda: Japan Increasingly Likely to Hit Inflation Target
- Stimulus Package Set to Drive Greater Govt Borrowing; Likely Effectiveness Called into Question
- Food, Beverage Price Hikes Show Signs of Easing; Fuel Prices, Consumer Frugality Slowing Down Price Rises
- AI-generated Child Porn Floods Japan-based Website (Update 1)