Samurai Japan Advance to WBC Q’finals as Top Pool B Team
22:26 JST, March 12, 2023
Shohei Ohtani’s “big fly” led the way as Samurai Japan moved into the World Baseball Classic quarterfinals as the top team from Pool B with a 7-1 victory over Australia to wrap up group action at Tokyo Dome on Sunday.
Right-hander Yoshinobu Yamamoto got the start for Japan, which swept its four games in pool play, and allowed just one hit and struck out eight over four innings.
Los Angeles Angels slugger Shohei Ohtani hit a three-run home run in the first inning and American-born Lars Nootbaar also contributed to earing the victory with an RBI single in the second inning.
"SPORTS" POPULAR ARTICLE
Hanshin Tigers Win Japan Series for First Time in 38 Years, Beating Orix Buffaloes in Game 7
Japanese Skater Yuzuru Hanyu Announces Divorce
Shohei Ohtani to Donate Gloves to 20,000 Elementary Schools
Sumo in Crisis as Dwindling Number of Wrestlers Forces Body to Knock Over Tradition
Shohei Ohtani, Baseball’s 2-Way Star, Becomes First 2-Time Unanimous MVP (UPDATE 1)
JN ACCESS RANKING
- Japan, Vietnam Trade Ministers Discuss Supply Chains, IPEF
- BOJ Ueda: Japan Increasingly Likely to Hit Inflation Target
- Stimulus Package Set to Drive Greater Govt Borrowing; Likely Effectiveness Called into Question
- Food, Beverage Price Hikes Show Signs of Easing; Fuel Prices, Consumer Frugality Slowing Down Price Rises
- AI-generated Child Porn Floods Japan-based Website (Update 1)