Shohei Ohtani ‘looking forward’ to playing in WBC next March
19:00 JST, November 17, 2022
Los Angeles Angels two-way star Shohei Ohtani announced Thursday that he had told Samurai Japan manager Hideki Kuriyama of his intention to play in the 2023 World Baseball Classic to be held next March.
“I am looking forward to playing baseball with great players from different countries and in front of Japanese fans for the first time in five years,” commented Ohtani, 28, who has been playing with the Angels since 2018. He made the statement on Instagram.
Japan will host Pool B of the first round at Tokyo Dome starting on March 9. The other teams in the pool will be Australia, China, the Czech Republic and South Korea.
"SPORTS" POPULAR ARTICLE
Japanese Skater Yuzuru Hanyu Announces Divorce
Sumo in Crisis as Dwindling Number of Wrestlers Forces Body to Knock Over Tradition
Shohei Ohtani, Baseball’s 2-Way Star, Becomes First 2-Time Unanimous MVP (UPDATE 1)
The Sumo Scene / Top-ranked Referee Shikimori Inosuke Also Earns Elite Status in Name
The Sumo Scene / Grand Sumo Tournament Wrestlers Find Power in Local Food; Powerful Wrestler Chiyonofuji Remembered
JN ACCESS RANKING
- Japan’s Economy Contracts as Demand Wanes
- Sardines and Mackerels Blanket Beach in Hokkaido; Local Fishermen ‘Never Seen This Many’
- Tsunami observed in Japanese coast after the earthquake near Philippines (UPDATE2)
- Autumn in Full Swing in Kyoto
- Japan Railway Operators Eye Net-zero CO2 Emissions Via Hydrogen Fuel Cell Trains