Ohtani hits 150th homer of pro career
11:37 JST, May 23, 2022
Los Angeles Angels star Shohei Ohtani reached another milestone in his history-making career when he homered to lead off the first inning of Sunday’s game against the Oakland Athletics, giving him a combined 150 career homers for his pro career in Japan and the major leagues.
Otani, filling the leadoff spot as the designated hitter, blasted the second pitch he saw from left-handed starter Cole Irvin well over the centerfield fence 121 meters away as the Angels went on to a 4-1 victory. Ohtani entered the game batting .333 (5 for 15) against Irvin.
Ohtani, who reached his 100th home run in the major leagues on May 14, now has 102 since joining the Angels. He previously hit 48 for the Hokkaido Nippon Ham Fighters.
"SPORTS" POPULAR ARTICLE
JN ACCESS RANKING
- Japan, Finland confirm unity in dealing with Russia
- Mangaka Fujiko Fujio A dies at 88
- China’s aircraft carrier drills near Japan aimed at around-the-clock attack capability
- As wheat prices soar, Japanese food industry pushes rice flour as alternative
- Fukushima lab releases images of ‘highly likely’ UFOs