- GENERAL NEWS
Work to Refurbish JR Shibuya Station in Tokyo Begins
14:59 JST, November 18, 2023
Work to refurbish the structure of the JR Shibuya Station began on Friday night and services for a section of the JR Yamanote Line are scheduled for suspension all day on alternating sides on Saturday and Sunday.
On Saturday, a section of the loop line between Osaki and Ikebukuro via Shibuya stations on the clockwise route is closed for the entire day.
On Sunday, the same section on the counterclockwise route will be closed for the entire day.
In other sections of the loop line, the number of trains in service is reduced. The Yamanote Line’s services are scheduled to fully resume on Monday from the first train.
According to East Japan Railway Co., JR East, the work is scheduled to end before dawn on Monday.
A total of about 4,600 workers are engaged in the refurbishment. Rail tracks and platforms of the Yamanote Line in Shibuya Station are being raised by as much as 20 centimeters so that the height be level with those of JR Saikyo Line which neighbors the Yamanote Line.
In Shibuya Station on Saturday morning, work to elevate the rails began.
"SOCIETY" POPULAR ARTICLE
AI-generated Child Porn Floods Japan-based Website (Update 1)
Bears Sighted in Tokyo Suburbs, Including near Mt. Takao (Update 1)
Tokyo Dips below 10 C; Temperatures Fall in Japan
Junko Ohashi, singer of ‘Silhouette Romance,’ dies at 73
X Japan Bassist Heath Dies at 55; Yoshiki Thought to Have Returned to Japan for Him
JN ACCESS RANKING
- BOJ Ueda: Japan Increasingly Likely to Hit Inflation Target
- Exports of Nishikigoi Carp to China Halted; Permits for Japanese Aquaculture Facilities By China Have Expired
- Japan April-Sept. Current Account Surplus Hits Record High
- Food, Beverage Price Hikes Show Signs of Easing; Fuel Prices, Consumer Frugality Slowing Down Price Rises
- Japan 2023 Food Exports Reach 1 Tril. Yen at Record Pace