- GENERAL NEWS
New Island Created near Iwoto Island from Undersea Volcanic Eruption, Japan Meteorological Agency Says; May Disappear as Eruption Dies Down
11:49 JST, November 10, 2023
A new island has been created near Iwoto Island from an undersea volcanic eruption that started late last month, the Japan Meteorological Agency said Thursday.
The new island, about 300 meters long and stretched on a rough north-south axis, may disappear from wave erosion as volcanic activity has been gradually dying down since Saturday.
The eruption is about 1 kilometer south of Iwoto Island, and began on Oct. 21. It has intermittently spewed into the air columns of water containing sediment, which have reached up to 100 meters high. The island was formed from the sediment.
"SOCIETY" POPULAR ARTICLE
AI-generated Child Porn Floods Japan-based Website (Update 1)
Bears Sighted in Tokyo Suburbs, Including near Mt. Takao (Update 1)
Tokyo Dips below 10 C; Temperatures Fall in Japan
Junko Ohashi, singer of ‘Silhouette Romance,’ dies at 73
Tsunami observed in Japanese coast after the earthquake near Philippines (UPDATE2)
JN ACCESS RANKING
- Exports of Nishikigoi Carp to China Halted; Permits for Japanese Aquaculture Facilities By China Have Expired
- Japan’s Economy Contracts as Demand Wanes
- AI-generated Child Porn Floods Japan-based Website (Update 1)
- BOJ Member Sought Tweak in Easing
- Bears Sighted in Tokyo Suburbs, Including near Mt. Takao (Update 1)