- GENERAL NEWS
Japan’s Largest Imoni Festival Held in Yamagata Amid 34.4 C Heat; Serves up 30,000 Dishes
14:08 JST, September 18, 2023
YAMAGATA – The largest imoni stew festival in Japan took place along a riverbank in Yamagata City on Sunday. About 30,000 bowls of Yamagata Prefecture’s specialty imoni, a stew made with meat and vegetables including satoimo taro, were served at the event.
Amid temperatures rising to as high as 34.4 C, participants relished their bowls of hot taro stew.
The festival has been an annual event since 1989. Staff added a gargantuan amount of ingredients, including taro, beef and green onions into a large pot measuring 6.5 meters in diameter. Two excavators mixed the ingredients, and after about five hours the stew was ready to be eaten.
"SOCIETY" POPULAR ARTICLE
AI-generated Child Porn Floods Japan-based Website (Update 1)
Bears Sighted in Tokyo Suburbs, Including near Mt. Takao (Update 1)
Tokyo Dips below 10 C; Temperatures Fall in Japan
Junko Ohashi, singer of ‘Silhouette Romance,’ dies at 73
X Japan Bassist Heath Dies at 55; Yoshiki Thought to Have Returned to Japan for Him
JN ACCESS RANKING
- Japan, Vietnam Trade Ministers Discuss Supply Chains, IPEF
- BOJ Ueda: Japan Increasingly Likely to Hit Inflation Target
- Stimulus Package Set to Drive Greater Govt Borrowing; Likely Effectiveness Called into Question
- Food, Beverage Price Hikes Show Signs of Easing; Fuel Prices, Consumer Frugality Slowing Down Price Rises
- Japan 2023 Food Exports Reach 1 Tril. Yen at Record Pace