- GENERAL NEWS
Cattle-attacking Bear Culled in Hokkaido
13:30 JST, August 22, 2023
SAPPORO — A brown bear believed to have attacked 66 cattle in eastern Hokkaido has been culled, Hokkaido prefectural government sources have said.
According to the sources, DNA from the hair of the culled bear matches DNA from hair found at the sites of previous attacks.
The bear, called OSO18, began causing problems in July 2019 in the town of Shibecha. A total of 66 cattle had been attacked by the bear, 32 of which died.
Images of the bear taken in June this year indicate it was about 2.2 meters tall when standing up right.
"SOCIETY" POPULAR ARTICLE
AI-generated Child Porn Floods Japan-based Website (Update 1)
Bears Sighted in Tokyo Suburbs, Including near Mt. Takao (Update 1)
Tokyo Dips below 10 C; Temperatures Fall in Japan
Junko Ohashi, singer of ‘Silhouette Romance,’ dies at 73
X Japan Bassist Heath Dies at 55; Yoshiki Thought to Have Returned to Japan for Him
JN ACCESS RANKING
- Japan, Vietnam Trade Ministers Discuss Supply Chains, IPEF
- BOJ Ueda: Japan Increasingly Likely to Hit Inflation Target
- Stimulus Package Set to Drive Greater Govt Borrowing; Likely Effectiveness Called into Question
- Food, Beverage Price Hikes Show Signs of Easing; Fuel Prices, Consumer Frugality Slowing Down Price Rises
- AI-generated Child Porn Floods Japan-based Website (Update 1)