- GENERAL NEWS
Visitors to Japan Climb 16-Fold in July
17:30 JST, August 16, 2023
TOKYO (Jiji Press) — The estimated number of foreign visitors to Japan in July rose by around 16-fold from a year earlier to 2,320,600, or 77.6% of the level of the same month in 2019, before the COVID-19 pandemic, the Japan National Tourism Organization said Wednesday.
In June, the number of visitors to the country totaled about 2.07 million, or 72.0% of the level four years before.
Excluding visitors from mainland China, the number of such visitors in July came to 103.4% of the 2019 level, exceeding pre-pandemic levels for the first time.
The figures signaled a strong recovery in demand for travel to Japan among people in other parts of East Asia, such as South Korea, and the United States.
"SOCIETY" POPULAR ARTICLE
Sardines and Mackerels Blanket Beach in Hokkaido; Local Fishermen ‘Never Seen This Many’
Tsunami observed in Japanese coast after the earthquake near Philippines (UPDATE2)
Japan Child Porn Websites Draw Overseas Users; Experts Seek Measures as Operators Defiant
Earthquake hits Aomori, Iwate on Monday Morning; Seismic Intensity 4 in Aomori City
Coldest Morning of Season Hits Japan; Tokyo Almost 20 C Colder than Previous Week
JN ACCESS RANKING
- Japan’s Economy Contracts as Demand Wanes
- Sardines and Mackerels Blanket Beach in Hokkaido; Local Fishermen ‘Never Seen This Many’
- Tsunami observed in Japanese coast after the earthquake near Philippines (UPDATE2)
- Autumn in Full Swing in Kyoto
- Japan Railway Operators Eye Net-zero CO2 Emissions Via Hydrogen Fuel Cell Trains