- GENERAL NEWS
Search Resumes for Victims of Shiretoko Boat Tragedy 1 Year On
14:35 JST, April 22, 2023
There were no survivors among the 26 passengers and crew members.
Authorities from the 1st Regional Coast Guard Headquarters and Hokkaido prefectural police on Saturday began an intensive search for those who have not yet been found. The search will continue until Monday.
Four patrol boats scoured the waters around the peninsula while coast guard and police officers searched for the missing victims and their belongings on the eastern coastline on foot and by diving. Aerial searches were also conducted in hopes of uncovering new clues.
Drift ice covered the waters around the peninsula throughout the winter months, making this the first comprehensive search effort in the area since December.
"SOCIETY" POPULAR ARTICLE
AI-generated Child Porn Floods Japan-based Website (Update 1)
Bears Sighted in Tokyo Suburbs, Including near Mt. Takao (Update 1)
Tokyo Dips below 10 C; Temperatures Fall in Japan
Junko Ohashi, singer of ‘Silhouette Romance,’ dies at 73
X Japan Bassist Heath Dies at 55; Yoshiki Thought to Have Returned to Japan for Him
JN ACCESS RANKING
- Japan, Vietnam Trade Ministers Discuss Supply Chains, IPEF
- BOJ Ueda: Japan Increasingly Likely to Hit Inflation Target
- Stimulus Package Set to Drive Greater Govt Borrowing; Likely Effectiveness Called into Question
- AI-generated Child Porn Floods Japan-based Website (Update 1)
- Japan Enters New Phase of Higher Interest Rates; Some See Portents of Further BOJ Policy Shifts Next Year