- GENERAL NEWS
Victims of Mt. Ontake eruption remembered
12:42 JST, September 28, 2022
OTAKI, Nagano (Jiji Press) — A memorial service was held on Tuesday to mark the eighth anniversary of the eruption of Mt. Ontake, which killed 58 people and left five others missing.
The ceremony was organized by the village of Otaki and the town of Kiso, both in Nagano Prefecture, and attended by about 60 people including Nagano Gov. Shuichi Abe and local officials, as well as bereaved relatives.
During the ceremony, the participants observed a moment of silence as a siren was sounded at 11:52 a.m, the exact time when the 3,067-meter volcano straddling Nagano and Gifu prefectures erupted eight years ago.
"SOCIETY" POPULAR ARTICLE
Sardines and Mackerels Blanket Beach in Hokkaido; Local Fishermen ‘Never Seen This Many’
Tsunami observed in Japanese coast after the earthquake near Philippines (UPDATE2)
Japan Child Porn Websites Draw Overseas Users; Experts Seek Measures as Operators Defiant
Earthquake hits Aomori, Iwate on Monday Morning; Seismic Intensity 4 in Aomori City
Coldest Morning of Season Hits Japan; Tokyo Almost 20 C Colder than Previous Week
JN ACCESS RANKING
- Japan’s Economy Contracts as Demand Wanes
- Sardines and Mackerels Blanket Beach in Hokkaido; Local Fishermen ‘Never Seen This Many’
- Tsunami observed in Japanese coast after the earthquake near Philippines (UPDATE2)
- Autumn in Full Swing in Kyoto
- Japan Railway Operators Eye Net-zero CO2 Emissions Via Hydrogen Fuel Cell Trains