- GENERAL NEWS
Mourners visit site of Abe’s killing 1 month on
15:06 JST, August 8, 2022
NARA — One month passed Monday since former Prime Minister Shinzo Abe, 67, was shot to death. Mourners visited the site of the killing in front of Kintetsu Railway’s Yamato-Saidaiji Station from the morning to offer prayers.
The fatal attack occurred while Abe was giving a speech on the street on the morning of July 8. He was shot from behind and died.
The suspect, Tetsuya Yamagami, 41, was arrested, and papers have been sent to prosecutors on suspicion of murder. He is being detained until November for psychiatric evaluation.
“For the past month, there was not a single day when I didn’t think about this incident,” said a man in his 40s who came to the site Monday while traveling from Fukuoka Prefecture to his home in Kyotanabe, Kyoto Prefecture.
“It’s really sad to think that Mr. Abe, a politician needed in Japan, died without fulfilling his goal in life,” the man said.
"SOCIETY" POPULAR ARTICLE
AI-generated Child Porn Floods Japan-based Website (Update 1)
Bears Sighted in Tokyo Suburbs, Including near Mt. Takao (Update 1)
Tokyo Dips below 10 C; Temperatures Fall in Japan
Junko Ohashi, singer of ‘Silhouette Romance,’ dies at 73
X Japan Bassist Heath Dies at 55; Yoshiki Thought to Have Returned to Japan for Him
JN ACCESS RANKING
- Exports of Nishikigoi Carp to China Halted; Permits for Japanese Aquaculture Facilities By China Have Expired
- Japan April-Sept. Current Account Surplus Hits Record High
- Japan 2023 Food Exports Reach 1 Tril. Yen at Record Pace
- 69.7 Bil. Yen in COVID-19 Loans to Small Businesses Uncollectible
- AI-generated Child Porn Floods Japan-based Website (Update 1)